The weather in Atlanta is rude. Waking up to a freeze warning is not my preference, especially when I have to walk two little dogs outside pretty early. Said dogs have also taken a liking to stopping and sniffing any and every flower that Fall spared. Essence and I shot these about a week ago *dances* and it felt like a nice fall day. Last Monday felt like summer was hanging on and letting us transition slowly. Sadly, Summer decided to officially leave me, us, and now everyone around me is sick.
I try to stay indoors as much as possible because I don’t like being out in the cold unnecessarily. Interesting enough, I am more consistent with going to the gym when it’s cold. Anyone else the same way?
When I first started working out, I’d walk into the gym, a complete ball of nerves, with a 500ml plastic bottle of water in one hand and my keys in the other. I kinda found the gym rats a wee bit intimidating with their Nike duffle bags and their Deer Park gallon water. Like, bruh, what do you have in that bag? And why don’t you just leave it in your locker??
Fast forward a few years and here I am toting around my own bag of stuff. So, I figured I’d share my 7 essential items I keep in my gym bag.
7 ESSENTIAL ITEMS FOR YOUR GYM BAG
- The actual bag, duh! My bag has been through some things and needs a couple of stitches. Also, please don’t leave your bag in plain view in your car. No one wants to come back to a busted window.
- Workout clothes – If you’re coming from work then I assume you’ll want to change into appropriate attire. Just assuming. I like to plan my outfits and I’m usually the brightest dressed in the gym. If you’re injured, PLEASE make sure you pack your knee brace, compression sleeve or Kinesiology Therapeutic (KT) Tape. You don’t want to aggravate your injury. Also, don’t forget your headband and a hair tie!
- A big reusable bottle of water! Because the thirst is real and why not save the planet while you work out, right? You can also add lemons to your water like I mentioned, here.
- Equipment– Before
my knee betrayed me and diedI tore my meniscus I always kept my jump rope in there. Other things to consider are resistance bands, ankle weights, ankle strap, and gliding discs. Depending on what your gym has this will be different for everyone. If you don’t feel like going to the gym you can keep these at home and use a training app like Nike NTC to do workouts in your living room.
- Gloves – To help you grip and protect your hands. Unless you’re into calluses and insist on being one with the weights, and that’s completely fine, But you’re not gonna be my person and sand down my epidermis with your rough hands. I’m sure there’s a lady or man out there who likes sandpaper textured hands caressing them. Right?
- Earphones – There have been times when I’ve found a bomb ass parking spot at the gym and wanted to cancel the workout and leave upon realizing my earphones are NOWHERE in the car. My gym pump would go from a strong 9 to a humbling 3. Unless it’s a group workout, I find it challenging to focus sans headphones. Plus, I like to do listen to certain songs when I do certain exercises to help pump me up when I want to cut a set short or the beat helps me keep my pace when I do weighted squats
- Towel – because, everyone sweats! I like to put a towel down on the mat when I’m doing floor exercises or on the machine, I’m using. I still sanitize everything, but I like the extra barrier of protection.
Extra items you might need
Toiletries – You’ll need these if you’re gonna shower and meet up with your person, or your friends after the gym. So, some extra clothes would probably be a good idea, too.
Blender bottle and protein. If you’re going to be in a bit of traffic you might wanna make a quick shake or nibble on a protein bar while you fight your way home in unreasonable traffic. I prefer plant-based protein powders, I wrote about why here, and it’s only $12 at Trader Joes. Let me just go aheaf and say, the first sip will probably have you cussing me out in your head because it doesn’t taste like anything exciting, but that’s something you’ll learn not to care about. Think, nutritional benefits!
Heart rate monitor – If you have a medical condition or you’re pregnant, you should probably get one of these.
Apple Watch – Fitbit, Garmin, etc whatever activity wearable watch is popular. lol I don’t have an Apple Watch, but I do know they help with accountability, create a sense of community and a good way to document fitness activity. You don’t need one but they’re pretty neat and maybe one day I’ll cave in and get one.
Now, remember, you’re there to improve yourself. Whether is mentally or physically, you’re not in competition with anyone.
Go at your own pace and enjoy your workout embrace your lifestyle to a healthier you!
On that note, what’s your reason for working out? What are your gym bag essentials?
Here are some bloopers for you to enjoy! And if you haven’t already please subscribe!
Shot : Essence
Edits : Me